Country Profile

Country profile – Primary healthcare and family medicine in Namibia

Felicia Christians
African Journal of Primary Health Care & Family Medicine | Vol 12, No 1 | a2242 | DOI: | © 2020 Felicia Christians | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 13 September 2019 | Published: 27 January 2020

About the author(s)

Felicia Christians, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Namibia, Windhoek, Namibia


Namibia is one of the least densely populated countries in Southern Africa. Namibia’s health services are twofold: private (serving 18% of the population with medical aid) and public (serving the remaining 82%). This, in part, is due to the country’s high income inequality. Access to healthcare is comparably good with 76% of the population living within a 10km radius of a healthcare facility. Yet, Namibia faces many challenges related to the provision of patient-centred primary health care (PHC). The provision of competent generalist doctors and family physicians has the potential to address the current health care challenges and priorities. The inclusion of family physicians in PHC teams will further aid such efforts.


Namibia; health services; primary health care; family medicine; generalist doctors


Total abstract views: 2961
Total article views: 5251


Crossref Citations

1. A Cross-Sectional Study on Hypertension Medication Adherence in a High-Burden Region in Namibia: Exploring Hypertension Interventions and Validation of the Namibia Hill-Bone Compliance Scale
Olivia Nakwafila, Tivani Mashamba-Thompson, Anthony Godi, Benn Sartorius
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health  vol: 19  issue: 7  first page: 4416  year: 2022  
doi: 10.3390/ijerph19074416